I have done this through one to one personal development coaching, and working with groups of people in workshops and facilitating training. I have really enjoyed it and it has been my busiest year yet.
What seems to characterise my work with people is providing the time, space and structure to think through challenges, ideas, and opportunities in an environment that is free from the pressure and restrictions of our normal working day. Supporting people to have a more transformational rather than transactional approach to problem-solving or decision-making is truly rewarding.
So here are some of the headlines that I think sum up 2016:
- Doctors really value being listened to and having the space the think things through.
- Doctors can make rapid progress towards realising their objectives if given this space.
- Doctors are resilient people but they need to invest in themselves more.
- Doctors are thinking about their careers more proactively and with greater ambition.
- Doctors are increasingly interested in coaching/mentoring both for themselves and for supporting others.
- Doctors can access coaching/mentoring through a variety of methods or organisations* – more so than ever.
And here are my professional delivery headlines:
- I’ve delivered 181hours of one to one coaching in 2016
- I’ve delivered 44 workshops / facilitated training sessions in 2016
Favourite quote of the year from a coaching client:
Sleeping better, waking refreshed and ready for work. Have already regained a huge amount of energy and enthusiasm. Thanks for your help.
The end of the year is a natural time to look back, and think about the future. Make sure you make time for yourself and invest in your future.
* Find a coach through the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management HERE. Access a mentor through your NHS Trust or professional body. Ask your Local Medical Committee to see if they have a scheme.
If you would like to talk over your, or your teams development goals for 2017, call me on 0754 0593476 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.